Spaghetti & Meatballs
Choose organic ingredients to avoid chemicals and GMOs.
1 lb leanest ground beef, 1/4 cup finely minced scallions, 1 Tbs dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 2 Tbs olive oil, 1 medium onion (chopped), 2 cloves garlic (divided), 1 (24-ounce) jar of tomato sauce, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley.
1. Mix ground beef, garlic, scallion, Italian herbs, salt and pepper together. Shape into 1-inch balls with dampened hands.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat. Saute onions for 3 mn. Add garlic and cook for 1mn, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and pepper. Add basil, oregano and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 mn.
4. Add meatballs, simmer, stirring often, for 30 mn, or until the meatballs are cooked through and flavored with the sauce.
5. Serve with spaghetti or vegetables and sprinkle with parsley.
These tasty meatballs can be served with gluten-free spaghetti, spaghetti squash or any other vegetables for a paleo version. I also like to throw a few sliced mushrooms after sauteeing the onion for extra depth and a tsp of turmeric for extra antioxidants (nobody will taste it!). By your tomato sauce in a glass jar (and reuse it!) to avoid exposure to BPA in canned tomato sauce. Always buy grass-fed organic beef for the animal’s sake.
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching