Acorn Squash Indian Curry
*Choose organic ingredients to avoid chemicals and GMOs.
1 large acorn squash (rinsed), 2 Tbs coconut oil, 1 small onion (diced), 1 tsp fresh ginger (grated), 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp kalonji seeds (also called black caraway or nigella seeds), 1 tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp lemon or lime zest, ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon, ⅛ tsp ground cayenne, ⅛ tsp ground cardamom, 1 cup canned coconut milk (not light), 1 Tbs corn/tapioca starch, 2 Tbs cold water, 1 Tbs turmeric, 1 lb unfrozen shrimps (optional), precooked vegetables of choice (½ cup per serving).
1. Cut squash in half, remove seeds and bake in an oven dish for 45 mn at 350F until soft. Cool down and remove the peel. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, heat 1 Tbs coconut oil and cook diced onion until translucent. Add remaining 1 Tbs coconut oil to pan and heat up. Add ginger, mustard seed, kalonji seeds, cumin seed, salt, black pepper, lemon zest, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and cardamom. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 mn.
3. Carefully add squash cut into chunks and 2 cups of water, breaking in down. Add coconut milk, stirring to combine. Turn heat on to simmer.
4. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 Tbs cold water. Add to pan of squash mixture, stirring until combined. Simmer mixture over low heat for about 10 mn, adding some water if it gets too thick. Continue to stir as mixture simmers.
5. Stir in turmeric and let the curry simmer for 2 mn to allow the turmeric to blend with other flavors.
6. Add shrimps (optional) and cook until opaque.
7. Add pre-cooked vegetables (potatoes, peas, greens, etc.) and simmer until vegetables are warm.
8. Serve curry over steamed rice (non-paleo) or alone in bowls as a stew (paleo).
Curries are easy to prepare in advance in a crockpot or reheat last minute. They are complete with protein, carbs and healthy fats. Acorn squash provides plenty of vitamin A which supports your vision and immune system, while the digestive spices lower inflammation.
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Vegan (without shrimps), Paleo.
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching