Mediterranean Zucchini Stuffed with Beef
Choose organic ingredients to avoid chemicals and GMOs.
8 medium zucchini, 1 Tbs olive oil, 1 lb ground meat (beef, lamb or turkey), 1 small onion (chopped finely), 2 garlic cloves (crushed), 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes (chopped), 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried thyme, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Oil a large baking dish (9×13-inch).
3. Wash and trim the ends off the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the center flesh with a small spoon, leaving at least a ¼-inch shell to make 8 boats.
4. Chop zucchini pulp, set aside to drain in a colander.
5. Place zucchini boats in prepared baking dish.
6. Put oil in a large skillet and sauté ground meat, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is cooked and onion soft, about 5 minutes.
7. Add sundried tomatoes, herbs and seasonings.
8. Add reserved chopped zucchini pulp and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
9. Fill zucchini boats with equal amounts of stuffing.
10. Place zucchini in preheated oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until zucchini are tender.
I am not a big meat eater, so unless it comes in a ground form with lots of fragrant herbs or spices and does not look like a piece of flesh on my plate, I won’t eat it. Using ground beef is also more economical than other parts of the animal. Please buy grass-fed organic beef for your sake and the animal’ sake!
Alexandra Le Ny Health Coaching